1 No Poverty
End poverty in all its forms everywhere
Goal: Demonstrate an understanding of the causes of poverty as evidenced by multiple viewpoints.
Content & learning objectives
SDG 1 of the 2030 Agenda is to end poverty in all its forms and everywhere. This lesson is a useful overview of SDG 1. Here we provide the learner with an explanation of the concepts of extreme and relative poverty and an introduction to the causes and impacts of poverty. We provide an overview of the Irish, European and global distribution of extreme poverty and introduce the learner to the main poverty reduction strategies.
Click on the image to start the lesson.
Resources for learners, trainers, and developers
Are there badges available for this topic?
How can we run a workshop or classroom session on this topic?
Yes. A useful workshop would include ensuring the learners understand the causes and impacts of poverty. It is also worth considering doing a case study on poverty and wealth in selected countries (through desktop research) or developing an enquiry-based project around: “Is poverty increasing or decreasing?”. And reflective work where students get the opportunity to think about what they can do to help bring about positive change.
Are there resources and materials available?
Yes. There are lots of materials on the web, a number of which are listed opposite. These are a good starting point.
Can I download a copy of this interactive lesson?
Yes. We provide all the materials which we have developed (or adapted, subject to licence permissions) for use under a CC BY-NC 4.0 licence. We will shortly be making downloadable SCORM versions available here.
Further information & useful links:
- The SDGs in Action app which highlights the Sustainable Development Goals SDGs in Action
- The United Nations including the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs information on SDG 1
- SDG tracker: The UN has defined 7 Targets and 14 Indicators for SDG 1. Targets specify the goals and Indicators represent the metrics by which the world aims to track whether these Targets are achieved. This website shows data on the agreed Indicators
- The Quest to End Poverty: Hear ideas and results from economists, philanthropists, activists working — in labs and on the ground — to wipe it out. 12 curated talks at Ted Talks. https://www.ted.com/playlists/67/the_quest_to_end_poverty
- Nasreen Sheikh, an ex-slave and child labourer speaks about the cycle of poverty